Sunday, May 24, 2026
English edition
Rashtra Wire Rashtra Wire

India, As It Happens

India

Railway Land Eviction Drive in Bandra Turns Chaotic After Crowd Pelts Stones

May 21, 2026 Source: Rashtra Wire

Railway Land Eviction Drive in Bandra Turns Chaotic After Crowd Pelts Stones
Mumbai’s Bandra area witnessed fresh tension on Thursday as the railway administration continued its large-scale anti-encroachment drive in the Garib Nagar locality near Bandra East railway station. The demolition action, being carried out under orders from the Bombay High Court, turned violent after some protesters allegedly pelted stones at the demolition squad and police personnel. In response, police resorted to a lathi-charge to control the crowd and disperse the protesters. According to railway officials, the operation aims to clear around 1.31 acres of railway land that had been occupied illegally for years. Authorities stated that nearly 500 unauthorized structures had been built on the land, which is estimated to be worth around ₹600 crore. Officials claimed that nearly 85 percent of the encroachments have already been removed during the ongoing drive. Tension escalated on the third day of the demolition campaign after a religious structure in the area was also brought down. Soon after, clashes reportedly broke out between protesters and security personnel. Several anti-social elements allegedly tried to obstruct the operation by attacking officials with stones. Police personnel and railway workers came under heavy stone pelting, leading authorities to use force to regain control of the situation. The violence left at least six police personnel and four protesters injured. Security forces quickly tightened arrangements in the area to prevent further unrest. Around 1,200 police and security personnel have been deployed jointly by the Mumbai Police and railway authorities to maintain law and order during the demolition process. Meanwhile, videos of the clashes and police action have surfaced on social media and are rapidly going viral. The footage reportedly shows protesters confronting officials while police attempt to disperse the crowd. Authorities said the situation remained tense for some time before being brought under control. Mumbai Police has registered its first FIR in connection with the stone-pelting incident. A case has been filed against 10 named accused, along with 100 to 150 unidentified individuals. Police said the accused have been charged under several sections related to obstructing government work, violence, damaging public property, and attacking police personnel. Officials added that strict legal action will be taken against all those involved in the violence.