Sunday, May 24, 2026
English edition
Rashtra Wire Rashtra Wire

India, As It Happens

World

Iran steps up claim to control Strait of Hormuz

May 21, 2026 International Source: BBC World

Iran steps up claim to control Strait of Hormuz
Iran publishes a map claiming "armed forces oversight" across more than 22,000 sq km of the waterway. Strait of Hormuz: Iran steps up claim to control Middle East waterway IRGC-linked media published edited footage claiming a strike on a tanker US Marines rappel on to what at is said to be an oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman Copyright current_year BBC. All rights reserved. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking. Copyright current_year BBC. All rights reserved. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking. An image with BBC Verify branding of an Iranian speedboat Iran steps up claim to control Strait of Hormuz Iran has said it is significantly expanding the area around the Strait of Hormuz over which it claims military control in an effort to assert its sovereignty of the key trade route. A map published by Iran's newly-created "Persian Gulf Strait Authority" claims "Iranian armed forces oversight" across more than 22,000 sq km (8,800 sq miles). It extends into the territorial waters of Oman and the UAE. The UAE described Iran's claims of control as "nothing but fragments of dreams". Iran's new authority added that all transit through the strait "requires coordination with and authorization from the Persian Gulf Strait Authority". The US and Gulf allies have repeatedly rejected Iranian attempts to assert control over the strait. The US has told ships not to comply with Iran's rules. A map showing the area of claimed Iranian "oversight" The diplomatic adviser to the UAE president, Anwar Gargash, said Iran is "trying to consecrate a new reality born from a clear military defeat, but attempts to control the Strait of Hormuz or encroach on the UAE's maritime sovereignty are nothing but fragments of dreams". Under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea ships are guaranteed safe passage through another country's waters - but Iran has not ratified this convention. Media linked to Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) this week published footage showing what it claimed was a "punishment" strike on a tanker in the strait. Footage released by IRGC-linked media appears to show a strike on a vessel in the Strait of Hormuz Drone camera shot showing smoking coming from a ship BBC Verify analysis shows key characteristics of the vessel in the footage match with Barakah, a Liberian-flagged tanker which reported being struck by unknown projectiles in early May, according to the ship's operators. Iran's push for greater control over the area around the Strait of Hormuz comes as US forces boarded an Iran-bound oil ‌tanker on Wednesday. The US military's Central Command (Centcom) said it was ⁠suspected of violating the American blockade of Iranian ports. Footage published by Centcom shows US marines rappelling from a helicopter on to the deck of a ship, said to be the oil tanker Celestial Sea, in the Gulf of Oman. In a post on social media Centcom said the ship was "suspected of attempting to violate the US blockade by transiting toward an Iranian port". Footage released by Centcom appears to show US Marines boarding a vessel in the of Gulf of Oman A soldier in a helicopter looking at the deck of a ship "US forces subsequently released the vessel after conducting a search and directing the crew to alter course," according to maritime risk management company Vanguard. Celestial Sea has previously been sanctioned under a previous name by the US for its links with Iran. Tracking data from MarineTraffic shows the ship is now reporting its destination as the port of Duqm in Oman. Centcom said on Thursday it had redirected 94 commercial ships and disabled four vessels since the US blockade of Iranian ports came into effect on 13 April. Donald Trump said on Monday he was holding off a military attack on Iran planned for the following day at the request of Gulf states because "serious negotiations are now taking place". In a post on Truth Social, the US president said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Pakistan's military chief is reported to be visiting Tehran on Thursday in an attempt to mediate peace efforts between Iran and the US. Iranian state media reported Asim Munir will be continuing talks with senior Iranian officials. The Iranian foreign ministry said it was reviewing the latest proposals from the US on ending the war. Trump suggested he could wait a few days for Tehran to agree to the new deal but was also willing to resume attacks on the country. "Believe me, if we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go," the president said. What do you want BBC Verify to investigate? A federal judge says the Maryland man who was wrongfully deported last year is being prosecuted for political reasons. BBC's Will Grant reports from a pro-government demonstration held after the US indictment of the former president. Gabbard who has been largely out of public view during recent US operations says she is leaving due to her husband's illness. Lindsay and Craig Foreman, from East Sussex, have each spent several days refusing food, their family says. Pouria Zeraati tells a court of a "violent" attack outside his Wimbledon home in late March 2024. The US president says he is holding off on an attack planned for Tuesday as "serious negotiations are now taking place". Pouria Zeraati was left with three stab wounds after the attack in March 2024. Since the US and Israel attacked Iran on 28 February, the UN says it’s verified the execution of at least 32 political prisoners.