World
French mum and partner held until trial after sons abandoned by road in Portugal
May 23, 2026 International Source: BBC World
The couple, who allegedly left the woman's sons on a roadside in southern Portugal, will remain in custody.
French pair held until trial after boys abandoned by road in Portugal
Copyright current_year BBC. All rights reserved. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.
Copyright current_year BBC. All rights reserved. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.
Read about our approach to external linking.
Frenchwoman Marine R leaving the Setubal courthouse on Saturday
Frenchwoman Marine R. leaving the Setubal courthouse on Saturday, she is being escorted by a police officer.
French mum and partner held until trial after sons abandoned by road in Portugal
A French mother and her partner will remain in custody after allegedly abandoning her two young boys on a roadside in the south of Portugal, a court has ruled.
The boys were found on Tuesday evening crying beside a road near Alcacer do Sal, about 100km (60 miles) south of Lisbon. The woman and her partner, identified by authorities as Marine R and Marc B, were arrested in Fatima on Thursday.
As they were led into court on Saturday, the man shouted "I love you" in French and the boys' mother sang.
A judge ordered they be placed in pre-trial detention, French and Portuguese media report. They are both accused of child endangerment and abandonment, while the man faces an additional charge of aggravated assault.
In Portugal, suspects must be brought before a judge within 48 hours of their arrest to decide whether they remain in custody or are released ahead of their trial.
The couple have already been questioned by investigators for several hours.
Meanwhile, the children, who are aged four and five, are with a French foster family in Lisbon and are expected to return to France.
Authorities told the Setubal courthouse that the two boys had been living with their 41-year-old mother in the eastern French city of Colmar, while their father had limited and supervised visitation rights, local media report.
Frenchman Marc B arriving to the Setubal courthouse on Friday
Frenchman Marc B arriving to the Setubal courthouse on Friday being escorted by a police officer.
On 11 May, the father reported them missing, prompting authorities to begin searching for the mother and children, and a European arrest warrant being issued.
The mother of the motorist who found the children told Portuguese media that one of the boys had said they were blindfolded and told to look for a hidden toy, but that when they took their blindfolds off their mother had vanished.
Authorities said the couple appeared to have no known connection to Portugal.
The couple's backgrounds have gained attention in both France and Portugal. The woman's LinkedIn profile describes herself as a sexologist specialising in "body-oriented practices, psychotrauma and developmental dynamics".
The couple's backgrounds have gained attention in both France and Portugal. The woman's LinkedIn profile describes herself as a sexologist specialising
in "body-oriented practices, psychotrauma and developmental dynamics".
The woman's partner, aged 55, is a former French gendarmerie officer who left the force in 2010.
Local newspaper Correio da Manhã reported the couple could be heard in their separate cells "shouting at each other".
A map of Portugal showing the locations of Setubal and the capital, Lisbon.
A row of houses by a river, with green trees above
Pair arrested after boys abandoned by road in Portugal
The children were carrying backpacks with food and water but no identity documents when they were found by a driver.
Cristiano Ronaldo is set to play in a record sixth World Cup after being selected in Portugal's provisional squad for this summer's tournament.
Reports had suggested the countries were set to follow the example of Greece, which effectively suspended biometric checks for UK nationals.
Latest polls suggest the centre-right figure is the only candidate who can defeat Marine Le Pen or Jean-Luc Mélenchon.
The companies were found guilty by a French court over an air disaster which killed 228 people.
France and Italy are among the countries that have criticised a video showing Itamar Ben-Gvir taunting dozens of activists detained at an Israeli port.
Among Bruel's latest accusers is well-known TV and radio presenter Flavie Flament, who alleges he raped her in 1991.
The 66-year-old handed himself in after an influencer used AI to pose as a 14-year-old girl and broadcast their conversation online.